A Multi-Sensory Design Approach in Architecture
With this project, the Van Abbe museum (Eindhoven, NL) initiated a continuous dialogue on inclusive architecture. In collaboration with the architects Peter-Willem Vermeersch, Tomas Dirrix and KU Leuven, the museum building is being explored as an opportunity for multi-sensory inclusive museum experiences. In workshops, various disabled experts from the Special Guests program explore and test how the architecture of the museum building can be optimized. The aim is to show the first results in mid-2018. Ultimately, this project will have an impact on how the museum makes exhibitions in the future.
publications / presentations
- Vermeersch, P., Schijlen, J., Heylighen, A. (2018). Designing from disability experience: Space for multi-sensoriality Participatory Design Conference 2018. Hasselt & Genk, 20-24 August 2018, 2018.
- Interview with the architects
- Interview with hearing impaired participants Barbara Strating & Judith Vogels
- Interview with wheelchair user Amber Bindels
- Interview with blind participant Jaap Breider